I’ve made two delicious taco salads recently. They were really so different that I should refer to them as two different salads – a baa taco salad (because I had lamb in it – get it?), and a chicken taco salad. But they were similar enough that I think one post will do.
- I usually have onion, sliced black olives, red pepper, and tomatoes (if they are in season / I can find fresh ones)
- I also have had meat, either lamb or chicken, in my salads, but no meat or a meat substitute would work fine.
- The lamb was ground, and I cooked it in skillet with pre-made sauce (see below)
- The chicken was a meatless breast, which I baked in BBQ sauce
- I’ve used a pre-made seasoning sauce (Rick Bayless Taco Skillet Sauce)
- Or made my For my own, I used:
- A can of diced tomatoes
- Roasted garlic
- Fresh cilantro
- Spices (Chipotle BBQ, Chile Powder, Ground Cumin, Cayenne Pepper)
- I prefer Greek low fat or non-fat plain yogurt to sour cream
- I’ve made this with pre-made guac (fresh from Whole Foods – very garlicy!) or with sliced avocado
- Tortilla chips are traditional (and delicious)
Combine and enjoy! Like most of my food, this is made on the weekends with the intent to bring it to work during the week, so I generally keep the groups above fairly separate until I’m ready to eat. Particularly the chips, as I wouldn’t want those to get soggy.
The nice part about that, too, is when sharing with others, it’s easier to leave out something they don’t like. For example, my husband likes this dish, but isn’t a fan of the salsa.